Thursday, May 30, 2013

Ghana Part 4

     You get really attached. It happens in the blink of an eye, but over time as well. You don't know what's happening till it hits you hard. My Michael is the best. He is three years old and tells you that quite proudly when asked. He has the best smile with his big lips and little baby teeth, and it's his smile that brings me back to reality when I've been home in my mind for too long. He plops his way over to me in the afternoons and hugs me with his little arms, wrapping them around my legs and says "Madame Kelly! Take Me!". So I lift him up and carry him to a spot where we sit and laugh and talk and play. Sometimes we just sit and cuddle and that's perfectly fine too. Yesterday he kept asking if I was coming tomorrow. I would kiss the top of his round head and say "Of course, Mr. Michael! I just love to spend time with you!" and tickle his belly and make him laugh with that gorgeous grin. He has a big boil on the tip top of his head and it popped yesterday, sending him into the deepest amount of pain his little body could handle and sending me back to the house with him to put toy story band aids over the hurt. With a smile and kiss, we walked back to the school hand in hand, never letting go once as he jumped over the big puddles and ditches in the dirt road. Michael likes to draw in the sand. I'm pretty sure he is left handed. I think he would make a great artist or architect. This morning I went to bathe the kids and feed them before school. Michael is really quiet in the morning and you could tell his little body was still waking up. He loves to try and wash himself, and he will be doing it in no time! Michael doesn't stray far from me. He will play with the other kids, or go and do something, but come back every few minutes to sit on my lap or give me a hug and then go play again. It was the same during lunch today as I was washing dishes. He kept just eating and walking around the dish area and looking and smiling at me. Before he left to class I gave him a hug and he told me to come to class with him. I wish I could spend all day with that little boy. It hurts to see him in pain and think of the love he is missing out on not growing up in a "real" family with a mommy and daddy to love and guide him individually and personally. If I were in the position to, I would take him back with me.
     There are other children I'm getting attached to as well. Two older boys - Albert and Prince - I just adore. Prince likes to come sit on my lap, although he is 10 I think. He comes up to me during lunch and just hugs me and rests his head on my arm and says "Hello Madame, How are you?" and we talk about school and what he wants to be when he grows up. He wants to be a banker. It took him forever to answer my question about what he wants to be. Prince has such a sweet spirit. He is protective of me and the sweetest boy ever! Albert has been with me since Day 1. He comes up to me and hugs me and takes pictures with me. He's the kind of kid who has confidence, but I think he has shallow self-esteem. He is not the leader, but what he does, he does with a sense of pride. He started to teach me Twi at the beginning of my time here, but since then we end up just playing together. Gideon is another one I have come to love more so than the others, but only more recently. We color and draw together. Today at lunch I said "Hello Gideon!" and he walked away with the biggest grin on his face. It's amazing what just some recognition can do for these kids.
     It's not just the kids here who I have become attached to - or the adults for that matter. The whole country and culture are beautiful. Get past the dirt and smells and you are in such a beautiful place. One of my favorite things is taking the tro home from Shoprite and seeing the lake (or ocean...I really have no sense of geography...) and all the green and palm trees around it. The fact that everyone here is so friendly and kind and willing to help add to the beauty of the land. It's graceful and peaceful. It captivates you and pulls you in. Once you go somewhere on your own, getting a cab and taking a tro by yourself or leading others who don't know how, it gives you a sense of pride. You feel like you are a part of the land and part of the people.
     The thought of being home in one week is unreal. I don't want to leave. I know the work I am doing here is so much more than the work I could be doing at home. It means more, is appreciated, is showing Christ-like love, and is teaching me immensely. I can't imagine going anywhere and loving it as much as I have grown to love Ghana. And the people :)

Me and My Michael

Albert!

No comments:

Post a Comment