Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I Love Lists Wednesdays: Top 8 Childhood Memories

Okay, as many of you know, my family is quite interesting. And that's probably an understatement. But I love them and I'm part of the crazies:) This week I chose to write 8 of my favorite childhood memories. These memories come from when I lived in Virginia, which means I was 7 years old or younger..enjoy a blast from the past!

1. Playing Indians in the backyard. We had huge berry bushes in the backyard and when you squished them, they would dye whatever article of clothing you had purple. We also had a plethora of costumes for the occasion. Our elementary school did some sort of festival every year for Thanksgiving and we had tons of "Indian wear". So all of us with our braided hair and random feathers and beads would go outside and dye our shirts and hands purple with berry juice and play Indians.

2. Playing Roxaboxen in our backyard. We had a huge backyard with a rolling hill, a creek, and tons of woods. We would pretend the backyard was our city "Roxaboxen" and we would have a baker who would bake treats(rocks and pinecones), a mayor(ALWAYS Danika or Jeff...no I'm not bitter), a banker passing out money(usually leaves), or whatever else our little hearts desired that day:)

3. Sledding. We had a huge yard with a steep slope in the front and a kind of rolling hill in the backyard, so any day it snowed, we had friends over and would sled down the driveway all day, only to take a few breaks and go inside for some yummy hot chocolate!

4. Putting on Plays. Danika, Jeff, and Nicole probably didn't really want me in their plays considering I was really little and just wanted the world to be about me, but they were kind enough to let me in! We would put on plays all the time! I remember a few about Vampires and Princesses, and vaguely remember watching my sister put on a play with her friend about the Little Mermaid in the backyard.

5. Destination Imagination and Oddessy of the Mind. I watched as my mom helped my older siblings through their O.M. competitions and skits and in the first grade, I was able to be a part of D.I. These are competitions where students are put into groups based on school and grade range and given a topic to write and put on a skit about and are judged and given awards. I have so many memories of traveling with my family to watch these skits and go to their competitions at different schools. I loved being a part of it when I got older. I was best friends with my group and I think our skit was about kangaroos and an armadillo or something in a rainforest and I'm pretty sure I was a ladybug and we had a talking rock. But these are experiences that helped me love theater and have fun out on stage!

6. Christmas!! Christmas at my house has never changed, but it was so magical. We would get pajamas on Christmas Eve, most of the time it was matching. We would read the Christmas story, watch a movie, and eat Chinese food. Then we would all grab our stuffed animals and sleeping bags and pack into the same bedroom and camp out for the night. We would stay up late playing cards and games and talking, wake back up around 1:30 after Santa left our stockings at the end of our beds, look through the loot and swap interesting items, fall back asleep for a few hours and wake our parents up at 7. We always had the same picture on the staircase, go to the tree, and the person playing Santa would pass out presents. Then the missionaries would come over and we would have a big breakfast.

7. The Missionaries. I don't remember any of their names or most of their faces, but I distinctly remember their presence in our home all the time! We had a bonfire one time where the Sister missionaries burned a piece of their clothing to mark their one year, one of them gave Jack his first haircut, they took me to the park and pushed me on the swings, and they always had to get a picture in the harry potter glasses and bunny ears. It was pretty much a staple in our home to have them!

8. Our FHE board. We have not been the most consistent family with FHE, but when we lived in VA and had less kids, I remember the peg board we had for FHE. Every person had an animal on a little string and it was under a category- "prayer, treat, lesson, etc".  I just remember that dark green board like the back of my hand and wanting to place everyones names.

Just some memories from the Virginia house!

No comments:

Post a Comment