Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day

   My mom has taught me a lot. I'm pretty sure everyone can say that about their moms, but what gets me every Mother's Day is how we all have the moms we have for a reason. It sounds kind of silly to say it just like that, but sometimes we forget that our souls and spirits are not sent to a different mom. Yes this all could sound incredibly wrong because I can't find the right words, so I hope you catch my non-stupid drift.
   So let me say that my mom is my best friend. This year has been one of the hardest for us(which says a lot if you knew me when I was younger). First I graduated High School. I loved that I could torment her by blasting songs like "My Little Girl", "Don't Forget to Remember Me", and "The Best Day" and just the opening chord could make her eyes well up with tears. I hated that after I listened and laughed at my mom for crying I would go to my room and secretly cry a tear or two.
   After the graduation hype passed and it set in that I would still be living here in the fall, it actually happened. School started and as I started to change, our relationship changed. It was hurt by the blow of my need for independence and my mothers want to always keep me her little girl. Not only that, but my opinions about what I wanted to do with my life and who I wanted to become and the people I would surround myself with changed. I had messed with the plans we had made together just a few short months ago. Neither of us do well with change, not many people do. But we worked together to get through it and figure things out. She still supported me through everything and all my back and forth decisions.
    Now I'm facing and have faced a few major decisions to make and she has definitely guided me, but has also given me my independence, and to be cliche here, given me the wings to go fly on my own.
   My mother has been with me through everything. She's been my best friend. We pretty much describe our relationship as Rory and Lorelie from Gilmore Girls. She is the most caring, funny, confident, and heartfelt woman. She is humble and self-less and thoroughly enjoys being a mother. Through her actions and her words, I've learned so much from this amazing woman and I can only hope that one day my testimony will be as strong as hers and I can be half the mother she is. I am so thankful for the endless love she has shown me, her beautiful lullaby voice, her humor that gets me through the day, the courage she has to speak her opinion, the time and effort she has sacrificed for my sake. Some of the best things I remember are the cookies on a stick EVERY YEAR for birthdays, coming to every night of my school performances and concerts, singing me to sleep, rubbing my back, giving advice, and telling me how proud she is of me. I'm grateful for everything she does and the way she lives her life. I love you mom!

"There is no greater good in all the world than motherhood. The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation."  -James E. Faust

p.s. I know it's a day late, I'm not a terrible daughter!


1 comment: